21 December 2012

Graduation Speech: Job Search Advice

I have done it... I have completed my undergraduate degree! It has been pretty good for the most part and well, I'm happy it's done. I'm moving on and the place I am at right now is hiring me on full time. I made the student graduation speech for my department commencement, and as I had found a job, I felt like I was qualified to make a practical speech about job searching rather than the stereotypical pep talk (look what I did!) type of speech. I am posting it for you to read. Obviously, a few things change when you begin to talk to a crowd, but this was the majority of it.


Graduation Speech:

Congratulations December 2012 graduates! Thank you parents and friends who came out to support your graduates, and thank you to all of the professors and staff at NC State who helped get us here today... Etc...

Today, my speech has a purpose. Rather than simply saying congratulations and giving you a little motivational pep talk, I wanted to give you all a little advice. To be more specific, I wanted to give you some job searching advice. The job market is hard right now and if you aren’t going to graduate school, you’re likely looking for a job.

Always remember, you are interdisciplinary studies students, and you should know how to market that.

First, is your cover letter.

Your cover letter is that first impression, and you should always write one. The job description doesn’t require a cover letter? Too bad, write one anyways. Your resume, no matter how nicely formatted it is, doesn't give a great insight into who you are. The cover letter is your only chance!

Here is a great way your cover letter could start.

    Dear Hiring Manager,
        I can already tell you my greatest weakness: I don’t conform. I am a recent graduate of North Carolina State University in Interdisciplinary Studies. I designed my own major (or major parts of it) studying (and here put your major). I met the university requirements for graduating, but I put in my own twist.


From there, talk about your own experiences as I know everybody is different. Play up your major. You created your own program to attain YOUR goals while maintaining the requirements you needed to graduate. How awesome does that sound to potential employers?

Second is your resume, and I only really have one piece of advice for this. In those little bullet points after your job title or other experiences, write your actual achievements from that position and put down some numbers. Were you a tutor? How many students did you tutor? Did you help them improve their grade? and so on.

Your job searching attitude is incredibly important in this process and will help you in interviews. The world owes you nothing. You already know that though, you are IDS students. You played a big role in designing all or part of your degree, so you know what you want and that you are the only one that can get you there.

I hate to tell you this, but your education does not stop here. Every time you get a rejection letter, every time an interview goes poorly, learn from it. Be patient and take the time and show the strength to be critical with yourself.

But when you do find your job - keep learning! You may not have homework anymore, but there are always lessons and skills to learn. Once you have made any decision, whether it is in personal or professional life, keep moving forward, not backwards. Trust in your judgement and don’t dwell on the past.

When you get a job or achieve your personal goals, never forget who helped you get there. Your peers in this auditorium, your friends, and your support network. Even if indirectly, they helped you walk across the stage today. Once you leave this room, you no longer have an advisor to guide you or requirements to meet in order to graduate. There are no requirements to meet that will guarantee you get a job. So use this support network to your advantage, and find a distinct few who will help guide you and give you advice. Be prepared to return the favor with an open mind.

I believe above all else, you are passionate people. After all, and I can’t say this enough, you helped design your own degree. Never forget what motivated you to choose your path, and keep working towards it.

Chances are, you have other passions as well, whether it is traveling, photography, or saving animals. Don’t lose those passions, and always try to gain more. No matter what your beliefs are, you only have one chance to live with the body you are in and with the mind that you have. You are passionate people, so don’t lose your passions.

Graduates - value your time here at NC State, and live by the motto that has surrounded you during your time here:

For the strength of the pack is the wolf, and the strength of the wolf is the pack. -Rudyard Kipling

If your friends and family have yet to tell you, then let me be the first to say it. I am proud of this pack that we are all a part of.

---

So there you have it, my graduation speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment