30 July 2012

It's okay if you get another job outside of your major. I promise.

Really, I promise it is. I am currently majoring in science, technology, and society. What the heck is that? Yeah, I honestly don't really know either except I know I love the classes in it. (I'm taking technological catastrophes this fall. Yeah. Beat that.) When I do describe it, I say that it is a political science that focuses on science and technology policy. Now, what jobs could directly come from this major? These are the only ones that I thought of:

  • Employee/curator at a science or technology museum.
  • Doing something in politics that relates to science and technology.
  • Social science research assistant in studies that show relationships between society and science and technology.

Okay, so those are way too specific to hope to ever get a job in, much less get experience for ahead of time. What I learned has really matter has been making connections and learning other skills. Currently, I work at a help desk for a reseller of Google Apps for Business helping customers with things like mailing lists, email problems, and other issues. Soon, I may also be working in search engine marketing or SEO. The first job I gained by having Google Apps experience and by showing on my resume that I was a "doer" (actual words from my boss). The second one is through networking and having proven that I can be a fast learner. Currently, these are part time while I am in school but I have a pretty good feeling that they will be what I get a career in once I'm out of school.

So, if you're unsure what you want to do in life and don't want to change your major, there are a lot of things you can learn for free or for very cheap. Plus, they're probably just great skills to put down on your resume anyways.



These are some of my suggestions: 

The Google Suite. 
I guess you saw that coming, but seriously. As an end user, everything is FREE for you to use! Get to know Google Drive and  Gmail. A lot of businesses are switching over to Google Apps for Business and it will save them some training time if you already know how to use it effectively... and you might be able to show them a thing or two as well.

Programming!
I know, it sounds scary. Honestly, I don't know how to do it yet either, but I found an awesome free website that helps you learn. So go do it!

Make a website.
Start learning the basics of HTML and maybe even PHP. If you can even make minor edits to a website without completely crashing it, you could be a huge asset. In addition, even if you put down "Basic HTML" on your resume, it will show potential employers that you have a solid foundation to build on and it will make you easier to train than the next person who doesn't know anything about HTML.

Get down the basics of a language.
Even if it is just the basics, it will help when you need to at least tell a customer where the bathroom is.
Free Language Learning (German, Spanish, and French)

Take a continuing ed class at a community college!
In whatever you are interested in. They often offer things from welding to Photoshop and programming. Choose something and go for it.

Take free classes online.
No, they're not going to give you a certificate or even be something you can put down on your resume, but similar to taking a continuing ed course, they can help teach useful skills. As long as you are comfortable applying the skill, you can put it down on your resume.

I know that all of these have to do with computer skills, but that's what is hot right now. What skills have you learned outside of college that helped you land a job?


No comments:

Post a Comment